Monday, May 4, 2009

Third day without my Diep

Today is day 3 without Diep. Megan and I have been doing well enough, though I made the mistake of splitting days with her to do the dishes. I never have to do dishes when Diep is home.

The weather in Hanoi is getting warmer. Pretty soon it will be hot again and I won't feel like even going outside. Fortunately, I spend about a month out of every summer in the U.S. on vacation, managing to avoid the hotest month/months here in Hanoi.

Our operations will begin soon and it looks like I will be traveling a little more than I had been in the last field activities. Spending a goodly portion of time in the central provinces of Vietnam this time. The temps can get up into the 110s to 120s in some of these areas during the summer, but our teams are smart enough to stay out of the sun when they get that high. It shouldn't be too bad in the activity since it is not yet smack dab in the middle of summer.

It has been increasingly difficult for me to stay focused these past few weeks. Mostly because I worked my ass off in the last field activity and secondly because I know I will be in high gear again beginning in just a few days. I definitely need a break, but I really can't take it right now. I suppose I can wait until summer, but it sure feels like a long way off right now.

Megan seems pretty focused! I really don't know how she does it. She comes home after a full day of school and sits down to do her homework, sometimes for long periods of time. I know she is doing homework because she is sititng at her computer with the ADSL modem off. There really isn't mcuh else for her to do if she can't chat or surf the net. I hope she keeps it up. She is learning things that I don't think most seventh graders in the US are getting to yet. She can put together quality reports and power point presentations, and even collaborate with other students on mega-projects. I know computers and the internet makes it easier, but she doesn't cut and paste from online material. I am pretty sure of that. I have also seen some of her creative writing. She writes some pretty good fiction... stuff I definitely wouldn't expect from a grade schooler. Anyway, enough about her... this is my blog.

Feeling like lunch right now...

1 comment:

luksky said...

Knowing the school systems in the U.S, I am sure Megan is getting better educated there...that said, I am sure she probably inherited her intelligence from her father. :-) She has an advantage in life with both her looks and intelligence.