Sunday, May 10, 2009

The Best Mother's Day EVER!

The weekend went by rather fast, and quite honestly I can't say that I remember much, if anything, about Saturday. Sunday - Mother's Day - started out a rather lazy day. We went to eat lunch at the Thai Express, a Thai fast food restaurant in the center of Hanoi, and then stopped at Fanny's Ice Cream shop, finally we came home and sort of crashed. I went for a quick workout and ran another errand, but Diep and Megan just stayed at home and relaxed.

For dinner, Diep and I took two of Diep's Philippino women friends out to eat. This was for Diep and I was really just the money carrier. I stayed on my best behavior, purposefully saying little and putting great thought into what I actually did say, so as not to have anyone thing I was rude, crass, silly, or just plain stupid. I asked a lot of questions because I know people like to answer questions. It gives them an opportunity to talk about themselves... most people's favorite subject. I learned this fact a long time ago: Most people will walk away from a conversation thinking I am the greatest conversationalist in the world if I just ask a lot of questions and let the other person talk away. Anyway, Diep had a great evening and even went so far as to say it was her favorite Mother's Day ever! I didn't bother to tell her that leaving her daughter at home to eat pizza while she went out fine-dining sort of left out the "meaning" of the day. All being fair, we did spend the rest of a really good day with Megan. AND Megan did say she didn't want to go to dinner (who could blame her since no other kids would be there?) -- I am laughing on the inside as I write this.

So, now I am at work on Monday with only one other person working. Everyone else went to Danang to see in an advance team. Frankly, I wasn't needed for the work and I am not put out having to stay here to house sit the office.

1 comment:

luksky said...

I'm glad you showed Diep a good Mother's Day time and remained on your best behavior...which I'm sure was very hard for you. :-)

Last I recall, teenagers don't mind at all being left behind with pizza and an empty house.