Monday, May 18, 2009

Bag of Bones

I just finished reading a book by Stephen King titled Bag of Bones. The book was written ten years ago, but I happened to find it on a bulging shelf at the office about two weeks ago and I thought I would give it a read. I rarely read for enjoyment anymore because Diep doesn't like it when I get enthralled in a book and pretty much ignore everything else. She didn't have much of a choice in letting me finish this book because I started it when she was visiting her family in Saigon. Now that I am done, I think I will not try to start another book until I start my site visits to the teams soon to arrive here for the next search iteration.

I found the book fascinating, as I usually do with Stephen King books, because of the mystery and suspense related to spirits and ghosts. The great detail in which Stephen King writes also gave me another interesting aspect on how far we have come in technology in just 10 years... 10 years that just flew by for me. It was extremely well-written capturing details of everyday life including computers, TVs, VCRs, etc., and in the fascinating genre of ghost stories.

Unfortunately, the day after I finished the book I got news that a friend of mine died. He wasn't young, nor was he old, at the age of around 64. He told me just a few months ago of his plans to retire and buy a condo in Bangkok, Thailand. He had delayed his retirement a few months, apparently to save a few more dollars before he put in his papers, and before he got to retire he died on vacation still working out the details of the condo. I have to admit, though, when I kick the bucket, I hope I go like him. He fell asleep in the middle of a Thai massage and didn't wake up.

I have personally been looking at how long it will be before I can retire. My dad did it right by retiring around 50 and enjoying a huge amount of free time since then... at the age of 72. That won't happen for me. It ain't likely, anyway. I will probably end up like my friend. Dreaming of that day of retirement and free living, only to have it snatched out from under me just before it happens.

All things as they are, if I never do get to retire, at least I am doing something that keeps life interesting. I get to travel a lot and my tasks are diverse enough that I don't get bored out of my skull. The only thing is, this is a young man's job and I am not sure how much longer I can qualify under the category of "young man".

2 comments:

luksky said...

Hmmmm.....I have been craving a good book to read lately. Maybe I will try Bag of Bones.

Have you ever read any Dean Koontz books? They are pretty good too.

Buddy said...

I have read Dean Koontz, but I can't think of any of the books I have read that were written by him at the moment. I am getting like Dad! He can watch a movie and six months later he can watch it again and not realize he has seen it before.