Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Job Seeking

I have been doing this job for some seven years now. I really owe this job a huge debt of grattitude because it literally saved me from lower income Mobile, AL. I have truly enjoyed most of the duties associated with this job and I could probably do it for the rest of my life. With that in mind, I am not sure what impulse I had that made me submit my resume for a job in Hawaii. Granted, the job in Hawaii is with the same organization and the head of the office that I applied to work in knows me well, but it is still something new... and seemingly unnecessary.

I guess the first thing to point out is that just because you apply for a job doesn't mean you are going to get it. I am sure other people will apply for the same job and they may be equally or more qualified than me to get it, so I shouldn't be going about it like I have the job, yet... because I don't. Secondly, I have a huge list of reasons that I should be thinking about a new job:
1. Health - As an interpreter, my hearing is very important, and quite frankly an ear infection last year has left me with a ringing in my ear that makes it perceptibly harder to hear what someone is saying
2. Job Security - I have a job now, but this job won't last forever and I don't have any real sellable skills that I can put on paper. This new job will do that for me if I get it.
3. Family - Megan really wants to go to a US high school. I am not sure why, but I respect her right to enjoy her teenage years in America... if I can swing it.
4. Perception - Out of jealousy or just idle talking, there are those that may say I have been here too long. That may be bullshit because the chances are the person is saying it because I have an opposing opinion as to how to approach an issue. For the record I am usually right. Anyway, getting a stateside job would give me that time away to refocus and the possible option of returning in three years if I wanted.
5. The opportunity for more responsibility - My job here is what it is. Because of the nature of what I do here, I will never get more responsibility... there just isn't anywhere to grow. This new job has lots of room for expansion.
6. The opportunity to buy a house - I am not sure I could afford a house in Hawaii, but it would be a good time to buy with the market down like it is.
7. A time to enjoy everything that is America - America is a great place and as an American I have the right to enjoy it.

Of course, the biggest reason not to leave this job goes back to the old addage "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". If this doesn't pan out for the hundreds of reasons that it could go wrong, it ma be a while before I apply for another job again, because I do enjoy this job.

Call it God, or Kharma or Fate. I figure if God wants me to take this job he will open the door and let me walk in. What better reason than that.

1 comment:

luksky said...

The way I see it, your right. Just because you apply for the job doesn't mean that you will get it...nor does it mean you have to take it if you do get it. That being said, I think if you do get it..you should take it. Just your favorite sister's opinion. :-)