Saturday, March 7, 2009

Pleiku

Two days ago I traveled to Pleiku from Hanoi via HCMC. The day was long and boring spending most of my time on a plane or in an airport waiting to get on a plane. Nevertheless, towards the end of the work day, I did end up at the Hoang Anh Gia Lai Hotel in Pleiku. The hotel is fine, though probably not living up to its four star status they proudly display at the reception desk.

Yesterday, we were scheduled to go out to a recovery site with two gentlemen from the Veterans of Foreign Wars - both of them are Vietnam Veterans. We were prepared to leave the hotel at 0800hrs to be at the airport in time for a 0830hrs take off for the site just outside of An Khe Town. The weather at 0800hrs was not good and we were asked to just hang out at the hotel until 1000hrs at which time we went on out to the airfield to wait some more. By 1400hrs, the leadership called the ball, declaring the visibility at the site HLZ to be to low to land. We all headed back to the hotel... the site visit in Gia Lai cancelled.

Today, I sit in the lobby of the Hoang Anh Gia Lai Hotel waiting to head to the airport for our commercial flight to Saigon. As luck would have it, the flight has been delayed and my 1100 departure has been moved to 1430... at least for the time being. The bad news is that I already checked out of the room before I got the word of delay. The good news is that I have a fully charged computer, ipod shuffle, and free wifi. So, I sit here, writing in my blog and messaging with my sister until I can leave this place.

The VFW guys have a second opportunity to conduct a site visit tomorrow in Binh Phuoc Province. The weather in the southern part of Vietnam is generally more stable at this time of year so I feel fairly certain they will make it. Otherwise this whole trip would have been an absolute waste of time. Of course I can't control the weather so, at least, it won't be something hanging over my head.

I am looking forward to a little time in Saigon. A good meal in a good restaurant and some warm, dry weather for a change. Hanoi has been geting old lately, I am getting tired of the drizzle and miserable weater typical of Hanoi for this time of year.... of course, there are those expatriates that swear by Hanoi. They just love it up there. Honestly I wouldn't even be there if it wasn't for the job!

No comments: