Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Basecamp

Yesterday, we went by Mi-17 to the recovery site in Gia Lai Province. Though the team had withdrawn the day prior, the platforms and some of the infrastructure was still intact. It was pretty elaborate. This site was probably the most interesting I had seen in respect of wildlife. I would have greatly enjoyed the 25 some odd days the team spent on that mountain. They had stories of snakes and a myriad of other creatures that they ran into on a regular basis. The locals who worked at the site were still there when we went up and it was obvious they had a great working relationship with the American team.

Today I go back to Hanoi. Apparently my long layover in Danang was made longer by Vietnam Airlines yesterday because they announced the flight will be delayed. The delays are a direct result of VN Airlines combining flights and changing schedules to gain efficiencies. I understand the need to get more bang for your buck by the airline, but it becomes very annoying when every flight you are scheduled to take is delayed within 24 - 36 hours. It gets to the point some times that I have to make my reservation for the day prior to whatever meeting I have because I am afraid the flight will be delayed and the meeting will have to be postponed or cancelled.

I thought I would have some me time when I get back to Hanoi, but both Thursday and Friday nights I have to attend a dinner for a visiting guest. I really would rather stay home and watch TV or read a book. Especially since Diep and Megan are in Saigon and this is the only time I really get to myslef... a most precious commodity, indeed.

No comments: