Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Gia Lai and Binh Phuoc

I just got back four days in Pleiku and HCMC. I was traveling with two gentlemen from the VFW who were visiting Vietnam. We were scheduled to visit two site before the men returned home, but we only managed to get to one due to poor weather in the Western Highlands (Gia Lai Province). The trip was generally good, but I spent an awful lot of time sitting on my ass. We waited at the Pleiku Airport for several hours waiting to board a helicopter to fly out to the site in Gia Lai and the next day, on the way to Saigon, we waited at the airport for 5 1/2 hours due to a commercial flight delay. That second flight delay took some very premium time away from me in Saigon.

Pleiku was quaint, but not someplace I would want to stay for more than two days. There isn't much to see and the only reason I can think of to stay there would be to bicycle tour the surrounding area.

The four days of travel began on my Friday and ended yesterday (Tuesday) so it was really 5 days, I suppose. I lost my weekend in the mix and get right back to work today. It makes for long weeks doing this, but we often get the shaft when it comes to visiting groups.

Hopefully, this weekend will be somewhat free! Diep and I have plans to go to the American Club to celebrate St. Patrick's Day. Hopefully there won't be any green beer.

No comments: