Monday, March 16, 2009

The Imperial City of Hue

The plan that we had when we departed Hanoi yesterday has changed dramatically. What was supposed to be a busy day of travel to Dong Ha and Khe Sanh has turned into a liesurely day here in Hue City. I have been to Hue too many times to count, so it isn't like a wonderful surprise, but the relax time is much appreciated.

I am not sure what the schedule is for the day, if in fact there is a schedule. I will just stay flexible and wait to see what happens since this isn't "my" trip. I am here as a "buddy" for the office deputy so I just facilitate when necessary. One of the simplest jobs I get.

The skies are gray and it looks like it has been raining outside. Reading my posts on FB it looks like it is raining everywhere. Not my problem. The weather here tends to clear up after night showers, and I trust it will do the same today.

We got in late last night. We waited a good 30 minutes for connecting passengers to board the plane which was a little annoying, but the upside was the ticketing agent gave us business class seats. On a flight to Hue, there is no real business class, but the seats are roomier. This is the second time in as many flights out of Hanoi that I have been given upgrades in seating. Good for me because my bosses were on both flights and it gives the appearance I have some influence around here. I suspect, however, my growing ass plays a big part in getting the bigger seats.

Like my boss points out, whenever we eat at a restaurant and I ask for a Coke, the question is always "Diet Coke?" He says the table staff are just looking after me because I don't seem to care about my weight myself. He is just kidding, of course, but I really don't know why I keep getting the Diet Coke pushed on me. I tend to not drink more than three cokes in a week, if that, but I have already had two this week and it is only Tuesday. I relax my eating rules when I travel, but maybe I should have a relook at that considering how much I travel around here.

Well, it is getting about that time to greet the day. Until next time...

No comments: