Thursday, April 16, 2009

Tech Talks next week

So I am sitting here at work on the computer, and taking a little time to update this blog. I want to say the last week has been crazy but I can't really remember too much of it as it was quite a blur. I have been spending most of my time at work hashing out our schedule for next week. We have a major meeting with our host nation counterparts and there are lots of ancillary related events going on.

These things keep me pretty busy, but because of the quasi-sensitive nature of what I want to talk about, I always find myself typing me into a hole... then I have to delete what I wrote and try to talk around it. It leaves me with text somewhat less than interesting. I guess the most sensitive part about what I write is the stupidity of others with regards to what is going on. Poorly thought-out emails, duplication of effort, and no evidence of thought in so many things that go on here. The sad part is that some of these people don't even get the less-than-subtle hint that there are much smarter ways to get things done. I have, from time to time, done some things that lack forethough, but I must admit that when someone else brings it to my attention, I try extra hard not to make the same stupid mistake again. At least not in front of the person that pointed it out to me. I wish these people would take the hint. I am fortunate in the fact that the people I work with here in this office - in this physical space in Hanoi - are generally a smart crowd.

The home life is okay right now. It was much better before last night. Megan got caught on the computer too long and Diep was all over her. The worst part is I walked in Megan's room five minutes before Diep did and told her to get off the computer so her mom wouldn't give her hell. She said she would so I left. I wish I had stuck around and forced her because in that five minutes between the time I left and the time her mom came in, the computer was still on. That meant I had to hear all the complaining for the next 30 minutes or more. Now I am forced to take the computer out of her bedroom for the next week. I feel worst about it because Megan didn't do what I asked her to do. I try to keep it simple for her so she doesn't get confused with the difference between being told what to do because it is in her best interest and being told what to do to prove who is in charge. I can be a real SOB so I don't need to prove who is in charge... that leaves me reminding her to do things to keep her and myself out of trouble... because anything Megan does wrong it is always her fault and my fault. Or rather, my faulty genes.

This could be a glimpse into the future teenage years of Megan Newell. She turns 13 on 24 April.

No comments: