Tuesday, April 28, 2009

20 Year Anniversary of NSFC

NSFC is the acronym for Northern Service Flight Company. This company is a State-run enterprise owned by the SRV ministry of national defense and provides helicopter services to Det 2 for operational needs. On April 7, 2001, one of their helicopters carrying 7 Americans and 8 Vietnamese crashed in Quang Binh Province killing everyone aboard. I personally knew two of the Americans and one of the Vietnamese aboard. Other than that one flying incident, as tragic as it was, the company provides great support for a difficult mission. These guys are all first-class military pilots, many of whom have experience in jet fighters. Anyway, NSFC celebrated its 20 year anniversary of establishment yesterday and our commander was invited to enjoy the festivities. I also attended as his interpreter.

The event started with a cultural performance, followed with speeches ad nauseum, and finally ending in a lunch for all. The meal was okay, but it was more interesting to meet some of the other guests. Probably the most noteworthy for me was the 918th Air Training Regiment commander and his deputy. He wasn't really that interesting to talk to, but it was interesting to meet a Vietnamese regimental commander. The down side of all of this was the opening of the Vietnamese vodka before noon. I must have shared at least ten shots of vodka and had two beers with lunch. This is not something I am proud of, and it is definitely something I would never do of my own accord, but it is something that is hard to refuse when foreign officers are inviting you to join them in toast. By the end of lunch I was a little buzzed and I had the rest of the day to look forward to... back at work. I managed to finish the day out and get home without falling asleep. I even managed to be back to normal by dinner time. Fortunately, not every day here in Hanoi is like that.

1 comment:

luksky said...

You are a much stronger person than I am. There is no way I could drink hard liguor that early in the day and not be passed out by the afternoon!