Thursday, April 16, 2009

Swimming again...

The weather is getting warmer here in Hanoi. When I say "warmer" I actually mean hot. I finished a fairly short run (a little shorter than five miles) and I was drenched when I got back to the house. For what it is worth, I was using Joe Galloway's method of running for five minutes and walking for one. This sounds like it would make running easier, and in a way it does, but I definitely feel more taxed at the end of the run using this method. I think it is the stopping and starting aspect, plus it allows me to run faster for the five minutes that I am running than I would for a prolonged run without stopping.

Anyway, with the weather getting hot, humid and soffocating, I have started swimming again. Cautiously, mind you, as I suffered a severe ear infection just a little over a year ago (or was it two years ago) and I am pretty convinced it was from swimming in the apartment pool. I have to dry my ears immediately after the swim and "jump" out all of the water that gathers inside. I went so long without swimming and really missed it. Now that I have started back a little, I want to make sure I do not do anything to jeapardize my hearing, or my ability to swim.

I was chatting with my sister this morning and mentioned my thoughts about leaving Hanoi in the next year or two. I had initially planned to stay in Hanoi at least until Megan graduated high school here, but now I am thinking about returning to the U.S., maybe Hawaii, for her to enjoy high school in America. It would also give me an opportunity to progress in my career and expand my possibilities outside of interpreting. This is just talk right now, but I think I can swing it. The biggest thing will be negotiating a high enough salary to survive in Hawaii. And, of course, there is a huge possibility Diep will have to get a job. Of course, I think she would like that in Hawaii. With any change, there are huge risks to a family, relationships and comfort, but there are also great possibilities. I think I need to draft out a plan of action and take it from there.

I blurted out my site address to Sis, so it is likely I will have one reader of this blog in the near future. As I was telling her, my blog can be pretty boring because I can't say what I really feel sometimes for fear of what people will think of me, or hurting someone's feelings.

Why can't I just be happy and have good thoughts?!

1 comment:

luksky said...

Wear earplugs while you swim! And you know I will always be up your butt on your blogsites. :-)