Friday, April 17, 2009

Working on Saturday...

I suppose I can come to work to get some much needed tasks completed, but that doesn't mean that I will complete the much needed tasks. These days, the internet is much too fun to just let go. I have spent the better part of the last hour just checking email, reading facebook, updating my blog. It is a good thing I decided to come in an hour earlier than I felt I really needed to.

I haven't had internet at the house for the better part of two weeks now... ever since IBM left the apartment directly below ours. For some reason, IBM didn't feel it necessary to secure their wi-fi signal so I was just pulling from theirs. I didn't feel particularly criminal since they left it on all the time and I usually only used it during off work hours. Early in the morning and after all of the IBM staff had left for the day. I am sad to see them go! Now I have to pay for my internet and getting it set up is not as easy as I thought it would be. The money doesn't bother me so much.

Other than that, not much going on in my life. Nothing new anyway. I spend a good portion of my time thinking about ways to lose weight, or at least control what I have on. I guess we continue to grow throughout our lives. One or two pounds a year on average which doesn't seem like much until you have a bad year or two that five or ten pounds go on, and when those one or two pounds over the course of 20 years goes on. So now, at the age of 43 I feel the creep is really taking its toll. About four years ago, I put my foot down - my heavy foot of 215 pounds - and decided to lose the extra weight. Mostly because I saw a picture of me in a magazine during a military repatriation ceremony. I looked pretty blobbish. So, after about one year I was down to around 170ish. It felt good, but the running I was doing took a toll on my knees. I cut down on the running and started to gain a little each year and now I am close to 200 again. Soon I will begin the whole process again... except I am four years older than the last time I tried to do this. In my defense, I won't be starting over because I still run from 3 - 5 miles at least every other day. I also started Pilates. I know that sounds like a very feminine program, but in fact Joseph Pilates created the program as a general fitness program for men and women. The exercises aren't incredibly difficult in and of themselves (at least up to the intermediate level) but the series of exercises gives a good workout. I started the program once before and was impressed with the initial results, but being out of town a lot made it hard for me to make it stick. I started again last week and I will add on a couple of exercises each week until I reach a certain point to have a good 30 minute abs program. Even if it doesn't help me lose weight, I think it will help me strengthen my core and enjoy the benefits of better posture and generally good physical fitness.

1 comment:

luksky said...

I always have wanted to try Pilates, but didn't think that I have the "stick to it" enough to even start it. Walking and hiking is the easiest form of excercise that I have found I can do without losing interest.