Thursday, April 23, 2009

Megan's Birthday!

As I mentioned yesterday, today is Megan's Birthday. Now a teenager, I no longer have a little girl and I would be best to remember that. Megan is probably more independent than I or any of my siblings, and even most everyone I knew when I was her age. She gets up in the morning on her own, makes her own breakfast, goes to school on the bus, comes home and does her homework immediately and gets ready for bed on her own. She has been doing this for the past few years. She washes dishes and, when forced, irons and folds clothes. The only thing she really needs us (her parents) for is to financially resource her activities. So, I need to treat her like the pre-adult that she is. I know it isn't about me, though. The power struggle will be with the stronger sex in the family, that is to say between her and her mother. I just hope there isn't any collateral damage (me).

Megan is having some friends over tonight, and I think even Diep is looking forward to it. I may stay at the office a little longer than usual today to give them more time in the house without me. We have a bar at the office, so I can hang out shoot pool and relax for a little while before going home.

I thought I was going to have a full weekend to recuperate but it looks like I might have to come in for a couple of hours on Saturday. I am working on getting out of it, but I won't know if my ruse worked until tomorrow. I hope for the best.

1 comment:

luksky said...

Lucas was always like the way you describe Megan to be.....where in the hell do they get that gene from!