Sunday, March 6, 2011

Hue City

I have a job in Hue City that I will be doing for the next 30 days or so.  This is cake duty, but being away from home for so long -  even in a five star hotel - makes a man miss it.  To keep me from being bored out of my skull, I brought along my digital SLR camera, my personal computer, IPOD and speakers, and some books.

I will be geo-caching my photos as I go, but Hue is a fairly compact city and I fear I will run out of places to go before the end of my time here.  I already got some photos along the Perfume River this morning and I suppose I will make it to the citadel in the next couple of days to get some photos of that area.  Other than those places, there isn't much left that I consider really photogenic.

I will also be boning up on my Vietnamese.  Even though I feel pretty fluent, concentrating on specific areas and interests keeps me at the top of my game.  I would like to expand my knowledge by speaking more to the locals, but the tones here are upside down and the local dialect is very different from that of both Hanoi and Saigon. I tend to adjust my speaking patterns to the locals if I spend too much time talking to them, but I am not sure this is the place I want to mimic the local populace.

The gym and pool here will help round out those other times when I get restless working in my room.

1 comment:

luksky said...

Lovin' the pics so far. I'm envious of your time away from your family to read and take pics...lol. I know that you of all people deserve a break though. :-)