Tuesday, March 8, 2011

International Woman's Day

Today, 8 March 2011, is International Woman's Day in Vietnam.  I say in Vietnam because I never had heard of this day until I came to Vietnam, despite the "International" description.

This day is usually celebrated by giving flowers to those special women in your life.  I am only allowed to have one special woman in my life so I sent flowers to her.  I ordered them through the Hue City Central Post Office yesterday and they were delivered in Hanoi this morning.  Unfortunately, as easy as our address is to find in Hanoi, the delivery person was unable to find the apartment and had to call Diep for directions.  This killed the surprise and also delayed her from her normal daily routine.  Fortunately, the bouquet was pretty enough that she seemed very pleased with them once they arrived.

When we first met, I was usually afraid to get flowers for Diep because I was never able to buy them as cheaply as she could and I felt like she would rather have the money than the flowers.  But, in the last few years she seems to really appreciate the flowers, especially if  I am away and send them to her.

In other news, the weather in Hue has taken a turn for the worse.  It has threatened to rain all day and the temperature with the high humidity and winds feels very cool... and me without a long sleeve shirt.

1 comment:

luksky said...

Sucks Dieps surprise was messed up. I have never heard of Internation Women's Day either. Toby use to buy me flowers every so often but has not in a very long time. Maybe I need to remind him ehh?? lol

P.S. You should always bring along a long sleeve shirt or a lightweight jacket just in case.