Thursday, March 10, 2011

Run

Since I got to Hue, I have increased my running.  I usually run in Hanoi, but more often than not I am relegated to the treadmill at lunch because I just got carried away with something else in the morning before heading to work.  There is nothing wrong with the treadmill as long as boredom isn't a factor in the run.  I usually end up running for 15 to 20 minutes and hitting the stationary bike for 15 to 20 minutes... and, if I feel good I will do the elliptical for the last 15 to 20 minutes.  On the treadmill, I will start at 8 minute miles and at 15 second intervals increase my speed by point one or point two miles per hour until I reach about 10 to 10.5 miles an hour and drop back down to 7.5 mph.  I do this as many times as I can until I run out of time.  This type of interval training  gets my heartbeat up to around 90 - 95 per cent of my max (220 - age) and it has taken my resting heart rate down to around 55 bpm.

I guess all that is good, but running on the real road in the morning here in Hue is infinitely more interesting.  I get to run on hundred year old bridges and past bunkers and fortresses that date back to the early 1800s.  Since the people here are "less sophisticated" than the Hanoians, they are also friendlier. They smile and wave as I run by and comment none on my husky stature.  I am at a point where I can run comfortably for an hour allowing me to enjoy the sites and sounds around me.  I am sure before my time here in Hue is over I will grow bored with my route, but for now it keeps me sane.  The cooler temperatures we are currently experiencing definitely help keep me comfortable during the run.

I do hope I get a couple of cloud free days here in Hue.  I have been to the roof of the hotel and I am waiting for a nice day to get up there and take a panoramic view of the city before I leave.

1 comment:

luksky said...

Since getting the dumb dog I have been forced to walk a couple of miles everyday. I have even taken to adding a little running in with my walk. I can tell the difference in the way my pants fit too..