Sunday, March 20, 2011

Eating My Curds in Hue

As you can probably tell from my post title, my mental state is slowly deteriorating.  Though I really did just finish a dairy product here in Hue City, it was yogurt and not curds.  I thought I would get a little poetic... in a little Miss Muffet sort of way.

Anyway, after my brief two nights in Hanoi with Diep and Megan, I find myself wishing I was back home with them more than I did on the first part of this trip.  Partly because I am growing quickly tired of all things "Hue" and also because I have just been away for a while now.  I have enjoyed a certain amount of freedom in activity and have managed to get in more PT time than I have in a long time, but there is a trade-off that I won't go into here.

I did manage to get out in a different direction and take some more photos. I posted them on FB and Panoramio, though my FB posting didn't provide a notification to my "friends", so they are all just mixed in with my previous photos in Hue.  Most people won't know to even look.

The sun is also starting to shine more here, too!  That is a welcome change from the drab Hue we had experienced in the first two weeks.  Even so, I find myself pushing hard not to get out and go anywhere else.  The only thing really left is the boat tour down the Perfume River to the Tombs of the Kings.

Lastly, the hotel is quickly growing old for me.  The person I am here to support loves it and I find myself supressed from complaining too much... it seems to get him tense.  Really it is just the small things.  I am usually good if I am left to my own devices, but this hotel has staff coming out of the woodwork to "help".  That would be good if they could help, but the simple requests I have made so far have gone unresolved.  I have complained on several occasions that the temperature in the room is a little warmer than I prefer, especially at night.  This is largely because there is only a thick comforter that acts as the cover of the bed and no sheet underneath.  The comforter is much too warm for me, but out of the comforter, I have nothing to cover up with.  The simple solution would be to drop the room temperature just one or two degrees celsius, but there is a master control in the engineering room that they seem unable to control to my liking.  It is made worse by the fact that other rooms are one to two degrees cooler than mine.  It would even be less annoying if they were just unable to resolve it, but they have managed to get the temperature down for a day or two (though sometimes only a few hours) and then it goes back up to the higher temperature. My suspicion is that it is SOP in the engineering room to maintain a certain temperature and they simply forget about the request and return the thermostat to the previous setting.  As you can tell by the length of this paragragh, I am deeply annoyed by this seemingly minor issue.  But, the inability to sleep past 0500  because I wake up sweating is starting to get to me after these three weeks.

Good news on the horizon, however.  We will begin working in other areas in the next few days.  We won't check out of the hotel initially, but we will be making day trips, and this may liven the mood.

1 comment:

luksky said...

I understand totally about the warm sleeping conditions. I can tolerate heat during the day but when I am sleeping I like the temps to be cool.

Going to check out your pics on FB now...