Sunday, February 20, 2011

Where did the weekend go?

I find myself sitting here at the computer on Monday morning wondering where the weekend went.  Luckily, today is Presidents' Day so I get an extra day off, but other than that the last two days went by in a blur.  I don't even remember anything too interesting that happened... it just blew by.

This is my last weekend at home before I take off on a couple of TDYs that will take me through the month of March and into April.  In a way, I am looking forward to it because it will be a time that I can get some projects started and completed, but the other side of that coin is that I will be away from Diep and Megan.  I already am looking into them coming for a visit to Hue midway through the mission.

I have no idea what is planned for today.  I do plan on getting in a run on the dyke road right after I finish this blog, but Diep and I have the whole day to ourselves so I am not sure what she wants to do.

In other news, on the 18th of February, a tourist boat capsized in the early morning hours in Ha Long Bay.  12 foreigners died because they were unable to get off the boat in time.  It is a really sad story.  More so by the fact that most of the people who died were in their early twenties.  At first, authorities thought the ship was struck by an underwater objects, but now it looks like someone left an engine cooling vent open.  The investigation is ongoing, but nothing is going to bring those people back from the grave.  Next time I get on one of those boats, I will make sure I run through my emergency exit procedures in my head before I lay myself to sleep.

No comments: