Saturday, February 5, 2011

Lunar New Year Break

I went into the office on Monday, but since then I have been off.  Not much to do and not many places to go here in Hanoi.  I was looking forward to Tet because, traditionally, the roads are practically empty of cars and motorbikes.  I woke up on Wednesday, 2 February, and thought nothing would be different this year.  I was only partially right.

Apparently the vast majority of Hanoi slept in very late on the first day of Tet after celebrations past midnight the night before.  But, by 3pm traffic picked up and the roads were only slightly less traveled than a regular Wednesday at that time.  The second and third day of Tet wasn't much better.  People were anxious to get out and celebrate the much-improved weather.  As a matter of fact, today (third and last official day of Tet) the weather is cool and the sun is out.  It would appear that Tet this year did mark the beginning of Spring.  But, if this is true, it is the first time I ever saw it. Usually, the weather stays ugly for about another month or so before the beautiful Spring weather sets in.  For the record, the two best seasons of the year are Spring and Fall, but the best weather of these two seasons put together only counts for about a month out of the entire year.  The rest is either too hot, too cold, too wet or too gray!

Diep lifted her ban on riding pillion with me in the driver's seat.  The weather was too grand and I was just too damned good looking for her to continue her staunch resistance.  I have been extra careful not to swipe her against any cars, bikes or walls as she rides with me, however.

After this week off, I am anxious to get back to work. I will be going in one day earlier than the rest of the staff as Monday is the official last day off at the office... that is good for those who want to watch the Super Bowl.

No comments: