Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Saigon - Part 3

Brother 10 and wife

Apologies for the short post yesterday.  My internet connection wasn't working well at home and I was busy at work, so I didn't have much time to write.  Anyway, after visiting 7's house, we took off for Brother 10's house.  10 was an ARVN (Army of the Republic of Vietnam Nam) soldier, supporting the southern regime and he got his legs blown off by a mine.  He was one of the friendliest guys of the bunch and seems to get around fine without the legs, though the recent stroke had numbed his left arm. His wife was a great woman and very charming.

As you can see by me sweating in the photo, things were starting to heat up.  We then left Brother 10's house for Brother 5's house which was a little motorbike drive away.  We hopped on the bikes and came to the edge of Brother 5's property where we had to negotiate a bridge path over a small canal.  As you can see by the video accessed through the link, it was not as easy to get across as one might think:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0vLCoUpDis

I didn't get it on video, but I went in as well.  The sides of the canal were very slick, and though I took it slow, I slid my foot to a soft spot and just went down.  Fortunately, I understood my abilities and had emptied my pockets before hand.

We had some fresh boiled crabs and shrimp at Brother 5's house and then left on a small boat to avoid the canal again.  Back on the road, we headed back for the city.


On the boat leaving 5's house

1 comment:

luksky said...

That video was HILARIOUS!!! I am still laughing. :-)