Friday, May 7, 2010

Dilemma

Somehow, after I got back from the trip to Saigon I got in the doghouse.  Regrettably, I don't even know how this time. I know when... exactly when, but I am having trouble figuring out how I fell from grace. It started when Diep was telling me that she had met with her Filippino friend earlier in the day, and it was also related to a chance encounter I had when I was in Saigon:

I had told Diep how I was approached by two Filippinas near the market and they had asked me about my Tevas.  I expressed to Diep that I was sure that they were up to some no good and were using a "chance encounter" to work some scam.  I told the women I had bought them at a specific department store in Saigon, and when they asked, I told them I worked for the US Embassy.  Their enthusiasm for making friends dropped instantly and they departed.  Anyway, just a couple of days later, according to a local paper some Filippinas were arrested in Saigon for scamming a Japanese guy by luring him back to their apartment and talking him into playing cards for money.

So, back to why Diep got mad.  She told me she had told her friends that I liked to flaunt my money and how I was lucky to have escaped the scam artists in Saigon.  I got defensive about her accusations and, apparently, I got loud in my defense.  Immediately after that, Diep was very angry at me and has been ever since.  At least it is the good kind of angry where she isn't talking to me.  I handle cold war tactics much better than nuclear holocaust.  I can hold out for days under these conditions... actually, these battles I come out as the victor.

The dilemma is that Mother's Day is on Sunday and I want to do something nice for Diep.  I just don't know if she will be talking to me by then for me to be nice.  Oh well.

1 comment:

luksky said...

Life is short. I say go ahead with the nice Mother's Day idea. If she is not receptive, that will be her problem not yours.

Also, you may want to take in consideration of how much madder she could get if you didn't acknowledge her on Mother's Day.

Good Luck!!