Thursday, January 13, 2011

Party Congress XI

We are well into the 11th Party Congress in Vietnam and the traffic seems to have died down a little.  Our office is in the heart of the Hanoi diplomatic / government quarter and we really felt it on 11 January - the day before the Opening of the congress.  That was the day all of the delegates visited Ho Chi Minh's mausoleum and the re-direction of traffic away from that area overloaded all of the other roads in the general vicinity.

It may sound a little odd to my readers that the biggest impact the Party Congress has on me is the added traffic of delegates traveling to and fro, but I don't think we will see any real effects of the Party Congress until it is over, and even then I am not sure what real impact it will have.  So far, I have only seen promises of real reform in government.  That is a pretty ambiguous statement and I am not sure what that entails.

The weather is still cold and now I have the sniffles to up the misery factor.  Forecast has it that a new cold front is coming through.  No doubt, just in time for my weekend.

I am looking forward to the weekend, nevertheless.

1 comment:

luksky said...

the cold here is torture for your southern sister...