Thursday, April 22, 2010

Couldn't sleep

I tend to get up early though I have been trying to sleep later these past two weeks.  I pushed my wake-up call to 5:00am and I have enjoyed the extra sleep.  This morning, however, I woke up at 3:30am and couldn't get back to sleep.  I laid in bed for a little while as the distant lighting lit the sky outside the bedroom window and beyond West Lake, but even that with the distant roll of thunder couldn't lull me back to sleep.

Today is a national holiday in Vietnam.  It is one of those holidays that prove Vietnam is improving economically.  The holiday is the Hung Kings Day set on the first king's death date (giỗ).  The holiday is relatively new and has been added to the calendar for the week before May Day.  I say it is proof of economic development, because in the not too distant past, Vietnamese people worked 6 days a week taking only a week or two off during the Lunar New Year.  Now that people have more spending money, they want more time to enjoy it.  The holiday is a good opportunity to take a three-day weekend trip.

The day is not a holiday for me. I have too much to do getting ready for a round of technical discussions between our headquarters and Vietnamese counterparts.  The meeting isn't until Monday, but the group is coming in on Saturday and I have a few things I have to do before they arrive.  I will take my holiday from 28 April - 2 May, through the "Liberation Day" and May Day weekend.

Megan has the day off from school today and will have all week next week off as well.  This time off sandwiches spring break between the two holidays.  It is also her 14th birthday on Saturday.  I guess I am not the only one feeling old.  Diep pulled out some pre-Megan photos and had them sitting on the table when I got in yesterday.  Obviously she has been reminiscing as well.  Anyway, Megan is growing up into a fine young woman and I hope she has a great birthday.  This year, she has invited some girlfriends to see a movie at the local theater, they will enjoy some pizza and an ice cream cake, and have a sleepover.  I will try to stay as much out of the way as I can.

No comments: