Friday, April 23, 2010

Censorship

Slowly, over the past few months, access to my FaceBook account has started disappearing.  At first it was an occasional 404 message when I tried to bring up the main page and then the main FB became a rare access event.  That was okay, because I had the FB lite web site as a back up.  Now, that appears to be gone. I have been relegated to access via my PDA, and even that has started occasionally giving me access issues.  No doubt, someone in Vietnam doesn't want me usinng FB, but I can't figure out why it is any different than any other social networking site in the eyes of "Big Brother" Vietnam.  My Space and Twitter are allowed, but those aren't the site I have accounts with... and to be honest, I don't like to switch from one site to the other, it gets confusing and all of the usernames and passwords are hard to remember.

Word on the streets is that our work servers will soon be opened up to FB.  Our servers reach out to the web through Hawaii so Vietnamese firewalls would not be a factor.  They sure are taking their sweet time about it, though.

I wish I had a reason as to why Vietnam is blocking FB.  In this world of communications, it just doesn't seem like shutting FB down from the Vietnamese community would make even a small dent in the security conundrum the Public Security folks are up against.

No comments: