Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Never Looking Back

Tomorrow I head off for America with Megan to celebrate the holidays at home. Diep didn't want to go this year because she has some unfinished business in Saigon, and because her back hurts when she sits on the plane for transpacific flights. Megan and I will miss Diep, but we will only be apart for two weeks... I think we can all handle that.

I won't be back in Vietnam until after the new year.  As with every new year I am sure I will have some resolutions in hand.  I may have actually listed my resolutions in a post last year, but I am not looking back to see just how miserably I failed. Never looking back may just be the best approach for me to adopt.  Sure, there are those who tell us that we must learn from our mistakes.  With that, I agree.  But I don't want to dwell on those mistakes and failures.  I don't see the purpose.

So, I will barrel into 2013 with no regrets.  I can only hope this coming year treats me better than 2012. In 2012, I felt overwhelmed with the work load and new job I started.  The only good thing I can see in this waning year from my perspective is that I was able to set myself up for some monumental successes that should begin with the year 2013. Most good things come off the back of blood, sweat, and tears.  Everything else is just luck.

So here I am, never looking back.  I hope I am still young enough to keep looking foward.  I reckon I have a few more good years in me. I need to capitalize on those coming years.

I feel good now. Last week I suffered a bout of what I believe was Sciatica.  Basically, a pinched nerve, or bunch of nerves, that caused my lower back and hip muscles to tighten to the point of severe pain.  I doubt there is anything I can do about it, except hope it doesn't pop up again.  I just sat on my ass for a week and let it work itself out.  I guess I could have gone to a doctor, but my feeling about doctors on things like this is they can't do anything except charge you for medication to ease the pain and inflamation. I can get that on my own.

No comments: