Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Tragedy of Pudd'nhead Wilson

So, as I was reading T. Roosevelt's autobiography, he referenced Pudd'nhead Wilson.  If I remember correctly, Dad used the word Pudd'nhead on more than one occasion - and, regardless, he did seem to find the word pudd'n in general very funny.  I Googled Pudd'nhead and found the word was partially the title of Mark Twain's short novel, "The Tragedy of Pudd'nhead Wilson".  In this process, I also found that Amazon offered the book for the Kindle free of charge.  Not apt to pass up the opportunity to read a book with such a title written by such a prolific American satirist, I downloaded it and just finished reading it. In brief, an excellent read, but not very politically correct, and I found myself slogging through the slave syntax quite slowly.

On other points of interest, I am back in Danang seeing the teams off tomorrow and tying up some other loose investigation ends that have been lying around.  Yesterday I went to Hoi An to talk to a bar owner who had some information to follow up on.  He owns the Sleepy Gecko Chillout Bar and runs what appears to be a fairly busy bike tour outfit.  He has an expatriate bartender who looks much like Harry Potter - to the point I almost said in my worst British accent, "Har-ry Pot-ta" when I first saw him. I somehow managed to curb that impulse, very uncharacteristically I might add.

I will return to Hanoi on Thursday, and barring any last minute meetings that I can't avoid, I plan to take Friday off.  Diep and I need some "us" time and I see Friday as a great day to do that.

No comments: