Thursday, September 22, 2011

Bicycle Revolution

The past couple of weeks I have been looking into getting a new bike. Part of the urge for a new bike is because I don't really trust my old one for longer rides since, well, it is getting old.  The second reason is because on my runs in the morning over the past couple of months I have noticed a large number of Vietnamese on name brand and higher quality bikes that were probably purchased locally, and that observation has given me an itch.

Last weekend I was walking down Ba Trieu Street and dropped into one of the bike shops. There were several bikes that I was interested in and it may be that I go back to buy one in the next couple of weeks.  I do need to figure out what I am going to do with my old one, though. I think the best plan is to send it to Danang and use it ride in that area when I am there on business (which is fairly often).

It seems it wasn't that long ago that you couldn't buy a decent bike in Vietnam, especially in Hanoi. I had looked on more than one occasion, but couldn't seem to find one that I thought was "real". Over this past year, the market has really picked up and it seems the local population has really taken a shine to riding around West Lake in the mornings. It seems like the majority of the riders are older Vietnamese men, and it could be that bike riding is an acceptable fitness alternative to running - an infinitely more damaging sport on the legs.

While I contemplate my new acquisition, I will enjoy the fall weather that rolled in two days ago on my old bike.

2 comments:

luksky said...

Although my bike is just a Walmart flunky bike, I enjoy sometimes riding it for pleasure or when I don't have a lot of time for my morning run. I think you should get one. :-)

Chris said...

I used to run a lot, but then I had an injury, and for rehab, I actually started to ride my bike to work. It worked out really well for me, because I got a folding bike, so I could ride in in the morning and then take the bike home on the bus in the afternoon and then do it all again the next day, especially good in the beginning when I'd often be too sore to do the ride home. Don't know if you can get them in Vietnam, but you should check them out if you get the chance.