Monday, June 20, 2011

Haircuts

I have been on the road for quite a few days now.  I am pretty sure I posted about my time in Nha Trang with Diep and then moving on from there.  Anyway, I was in Nha Trang for two nights and then flew to Pleiku, by way of Danang.  I spent five hours layover in Danang before I finally got on my flight to Pleiku.

Upon arriving in Pleiku, we had dinner with our counterparts and then worked the following morning.  We had the rest of the day to kick around and the whole following day as well because our flight out of Pleiku wasn't until 2130hrs due to an airline delay.

As it so happens, I have an official reception I have to attend here in Danang tonight, so while I was in Pleiku with extra time on my hands, I thought I would get a haircut.  I found a place that looked like it would be decent and the price was around $2.50, which is about standard for Vietnam.  I sat down and told the guy to use the #1 shear on the back and sides and trim it up on top.  He did alright with the back and sides, but then he whipped out the thinning scissors and went all Edward Scissorhands on me.  By the time he was finished I looke like Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes.  It wasn't that big of a deal in Pleiku because everyone looks like Podunk Phil there, but by the time I got to Danang, I felt pretty self-conscious about the bad cut and went to another shop here.  The guy in Danang did a decent job, but he had to cut it pretty short to take the spikes out of what the other guy did.  Now I look like an Auschwitz reject, but at least it is evenly cut. All I have to say is "lesson learned" about haircuts in Pleiku!

It would have been nice to have Diep and Megan here in Danang for Father's Day, but the cost of getting them here and getting Megan another room would have been fairly high.  Diep decided it would be better if she and Megan went to Ha Long Bay instead.  That is fine, because I will be home on Thursday and then we can do something in Hanoi to celebrate my belated Father's Day.

I will go on home leave 1 July.  I only have three weeks because of some requirements back in Hanoi, but it should be a good time.  I plan on relaxing, getting some shopping done and taking a trip to Atlanta.  There are so many other places I want to go, but with the limited time and other things I have going, this is the best I can do.

1 comment:

luksky said...

Happy Father's Day to one of the best dad's I know!!! I hope you enjoy your vacation in the states...I hate it when you are that close to me and I can't see you. Maybe one of these years I will be rich enough to come see you or brave enough to drive 11 hours by myself...lol.