Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Contemplation

I am sitting here at the DoubleTree Hotel on the edge of Waikiki in Hawaii writing this blog just before I get on a bus for the airport.  I have had 9 days to think about everything and nothing at the same time.  I guess the everything would be memorizing the 600-page Security Plus Study Guide (the purpose for my time in Hawaii) and nothing being those things that we are always weighing and considering in the form of life and career choices.

Anyone who has talked to me recently probably knows I have been considering leaving Vietnam to return to a stateside job.  I would prefer a job on the mainland, but I have also considered coming to Hawaii.  No doubt the air is fresher and the trees are greener here in Hawaii.  Aesthetically, it would be tough to beat this place.  But, the financial hit would be big.  Accounting for travel tickets to Vietnam and the U.S. to visit family and buying or renting a house here in Hawaii would leave little or no expendable income.  Final conclusion? I think I will stay in Hanoi until 1) Someone makes me leave or 2) Megan graduates high school.

The computer training has got me to thinking I might would like to slide careers into the technical realm. That, too, has been put on hold. I don't think starting over at this point is such a good idea.  I enjoy the idea of working with computers all day, but the idea of customer service doesn't excite me so much.  The fact is, if you are working on computers or networks, usually you are dealing with people whose computers or networks aren't working.

So, I think it is good for people to have a little time to sit back and contemplate.  I have had my 9 days in the sun (figuratively; I studied in the room most of my time here) and now I am ready to get back to Hanoi.  Even if I am only there for three days before I leave for the U.S. on vacation.

1 comment:

luksky said...

It's never to late to change. :-)