Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Can't be in more than one place at the same time...

Things are starting to get pretty crazy at work.  Some new requirements came up and it has changed the schedule around quite a bit.  The upside is that I will be in Hanoi tomorrow to go to Megan's 8th grade graduation ceremony.  She will be a high schooler next year, and that just makes me feel... OLD!

The other upside is that I get to go to Saigon, if for but a night.  I will be doing some field forensic reviews with an old friend who is an anthropologist.  The downside is this new schedule has me gone a lot more overall than the earlier plan and I will be much busier as I get closer to my departure date for the computer training in Hawaii.  And, the home leave that comes up right after that. The other downside - and inspiration for thepost title -  is that I will be unable to manage itineraries that I put together for some VIP visits.  I know someone else should be able to pick it up and go with it, but when something goes wrong it is best to have the guy who put everything together fix it.

I had a small heart attack (figuratively) two days ago when I realized that I am going to Hawaii and my driver's license expired in January of this year.  I haven't even thought about it, because we don't use our DL's here for much at all.  Anyway, the reason this affects my trip is because you can't rent a car with an expired license.  If the training I was taking was too far away from the hotel, I would be taking taxis all of the time and that just would have been costly and time consuming.  After a little research, I found out that my hotel and the training site are only about a mile from each other.  Looks like I will get a little walking exercise every day during the training period.  The weather in Hawaii is much more conducive to walking than here in Hanoi.  One mile in Hanoi at this time of year means I would be sweating through my shirt by the time I reached my destination.  Hawaii temps are much milder... it should be fun.

No comments: