Saturday, June 22, 2013

The End

'The End' is the finale of all good stories, is as the same with the conclusion of the 111th Joint Field Activity.  I learned a lot and feel much more comfortable with what I am getting myself into, but at the same time see some great obstacles that I will have to hurdle.  Not surprisingly, the biggest hurdle will be my family.  I have to convince my wife that this new job I have is a means to an end.  I already know that I won't be able to lead an investigation team for too very long, because I am right at that age where I never know when some injury or disability is going to sneak up on  me.  Statistically, it probably isn't that much different than 10 or 15 years ago, it's just my body's ability to bounce back is diminished.  So, back to my point, I am trying to strengthen my skill set in areas to make myself more marketable should I start looking for something a little different down the road.  This is precautionary, not visionary.  Who knows what will happen in the next two years?!

I think I progressed in my report writing skills, and I definitely re-familiarized myself with making site sketches.  The principles of making sketches for these sites don't differ much from when I was a party chief over a decade ago, but I was definitely rusty.  I got to watch a very accomplished archaeologist do his magic this time and it has given me the confidence to know that I can, at least, coordinate the team members to assist the archaeologist in doing his job as efficiently as possible in the future.

I had a streak on the one-off investigations I had been doing before this JFA in which I was getting rained on every time I got in the field.  This time the team provided me a Rite in the Rain field book and pen that broke the streak.  Murphy didn't know what to do with that, so he let the sun shine. Actually, the Rite in the Rain provisions came in handy whether it rained or not,because I sweat profusely when I am in the field.  The RintheR books survived my sweat well!

After this investigation period, I know I have to take my Olympus E-PL5 with me on the next mission.  Just too many good photo opportunities to leave home without it. I would even like to take my larger DSLR Nikon, but it's just too heavy.

This afternoon the teams depart for Hawaii.  Good bye and good riddance... just kidding.  It was good to see such a diverse group of young people get together and work towards one mission - to bring our fallen back home.  There will be a repatriation ceremony with one transfer case getting on the plane.  There are no happy endings when it comes to bringing home men and women who gave full measure for their country, but there can be solace for the families.

No comments: