Sunday, June 9, 2013

Fearless Iguana


Fearless Iguana of Phú Lộc District, Thừa Thiên Huế Province
 A few days ago, I had the opportunity to work in the Bạch Mã National Forest in Phú Lộc District, Thừa Thiên Huế Province.  The forest is protected and, at this time of year, it was alive with beautiful yellow and red blooms from the indigenous trees on the mountainside.  The air was moist and hot with the tropical humidity our team has been encountering since the beginning of the field activity. And from the complaints of some members, the area also was home to poison ivy.

The  variety of spiders and insects was impressive.  Granted, I wasn't hanging out looking for insects and other creepy crawlies, but taking breaks, it became apparent that the variety was profound. I found myself wondering if all of these bugs had been identified and categorized by local and international entomologists.  One particular insect that appeared very much like a large grasshopper, also looked very much like a dried, brown leaf. I saw him and let him go before I saw the fearless iguana.

I was working in a different area when other members of the team found, and seemingly befriended the wild iguana (kỳ nhông). Someone said they fed him a large insect, though I didn't witness that.  What I did see was a medium-sized iguana that remained motionless on a tree for the entire three hours we were at the site.  Many of us took macro shots of him, with our lenses right in his face.  This is unusual for any wildlife specimen in Vietnam, because it goes against the basic survival instinct these animals have, especially the ones who appear to be of mature size. 

I found myself looking for the fearless iguana everytime I passed him along the trail where he was perched.  I just couldn't help but wonder why he refused to budge.  I even wished I had an iPhone with one of those ant game apps to see if he would attack the digital ants.

Alas, all good things come to an end. Before we boarded the helicopter to depart our site, someone noticed the iguana was gone.  One part of me hopes he decided to leave and made a quick exit, but the other, more intelligent side of my brain, says one of the local workers caught the fearless iguana and taught him a good lesson in healthy caution. A lesson he may never be able to use.

Oh fearless iguana, may your spirit live on as your body nourishes others, my little friend.

No comments: