Sunday, April 28, 2013

Spring Break

Diep takes advantage of every significant break Megan's school has for her to take off for Saigon.  I get it, she is stuck in Hanoi away from her home town and wants to get back home.  The only thing is, UNIS has several significant breaks throughout the year. Not only is there Fall, Winter, Spring and Summer Break, but there is also the Vietnamese Lunar New Year.  That is a lot of breaks. 

I get tired of traveling because of the job, but I try to join Diep and Megan in Saigon whenever I can.  Especially now that it is so hard to use up all of my leave.  This week of Spring Break worked out well for me so I will be headed down to Saigon tomorrow to link up with Diep and Megna who took off yesterday. I told Diep I wanted to go to Siem Reap, Cambodia, the location of Angkor Wat.  Diep did the advance work on the bus ride and accommodations, so we will leave from Saigon for Siem Reap on Tuesday morning.  I just have to get my game face on, because we have about a 10 hour drive from Saigon to Siem Reap and then return.  Hopefully it will be worth it. At least I am bringing my camera so I will have to photos to prove I was there.

Megan applied for a summer hire job at the U.S. Embassy before she left on Saturday.  There was a bit of pressure on her because we didn't get the announcement until Friday and she had to get the application in before 1 May. No big deal except she will be in Saigon studying for her SAT past 1 May. Lots going on for my little girl.  Even if she doesn't get the job, I am proud of her for putting her cover sheet, resume and supporting documents together without any help from me.  She did let me read it, and I was impressed with her letter writing skills.

Megan takes her SAT the day after we return from Saigon.  I have my fingers crossed. We will see how much this high faluting school has done for her soon enough.

No comments: