Friday, April 22, 2011

She's 15, I'm... OLD!

Friday night and I am home watching Megan enjoy her 15th Birthday party with some friends from school.  Sunday she will 15 officially and I will be old... officially.

The funny thing is that I still try to lie to myself.  I tell myself I did 38 pull ups and chin ups today and that I can still run three miles, easy.  But then I look in the mirror and I see the bags under my eyes and the crows feet.  I am blessed with good genes, though. The ones that let me keep my hair. Even so, I can feel it in my bones and see it in my skin.

That's okay.  The flip side of the coin is I get to see my daughter grow into a beautiful and smart young lady.  She has started to take notice of her body and now she works out every day.  I like to see that because I know how good it feels to feel good about yourself.

Just a couple of more years and she will be out of the house... away to college.  At least that is my hope.  I want her to be better than I am and I want her to have more opportunities than I made for myself.  Honestly, I probably under-achieved.  Not in the, bum-throwing-up-in-the-gutter way, but in a never-reaching-my-full-potential sort of way.  I could just be crying in my beer (not literally, though I am drinking beer right now).

It wouldn't such a bad thing if the best thing I ever did was grow my daughter up right.

1 comment:

luksky said...

Ooooops. In my attempt to try and get Megan something she would like for her birthday, I probably sabotaged her self-image attempt. You'll see when the package arrives...