Friday, November 8, 2013

Tendinitis

Without getting into whether I like Facebook or Google + more, I would like to say I try to keep up with my friends on  Facebook.  The friends I have on FB span my entire lifetime and I am able to follow their updates easily through the newsfeed.  It usually takes me at least half an hour each morning to go through the newsfeed to the point I read from the day before.  It probably isn't a healthy addiction, but in my defense, who really wants to do anything in that first half hour after waking up.

Through this routine, I see that I lead a very lucky life.  I am relatively healthy, don't go to the hospital, don't have serious relationship problems, and my only child is a relatively good child very good daughter considering she is a seventeen year old girl with all kinds of crazy thoughts swirling around in her teenage head.

As a matter of fact, my problems are so inconsequential compared to everyone else's that I find myself very reluctant to ever post anything that I consider a problem.  I feel others would make fun of me with retorts like, "I eat those problems for breakfast and go back for seconds!"

Anyway, even though I didn't post it on FB, I experienced significant pain for the last week in the form of tendinitis in my ankle.  It felt like a sprain without the obvious pop or tweak that usually happens before such pain.  It came on suddenly last Friday and I couldn't figure out why. Granted, I had just gotten over a moderately painful bout with plantar fasciitis (the inflammation of the band of tendons and muscles on the sole of the foot), but there was no reason to expect the ankle pain.

It got so bad on Wednesday night that I couldn't sleep through the pain. This is significant because I can sleep through just about anything.  The next morning, Diep made me go to the doctor.  Doctor Damian (his real name)  told me what I already knew, the tendons in my ankle are irritated and I need to take it easy on my feet for a while; ice it and take ibuprofen to ease the swelling around the tendon.  For $100 consultation, that is what I got.  That, and Diep stopped annoying me about going to the clinic.  It was worth the latter.

It took me another day to figure out why my tendons in my left ankle were hurting so.  Long story, but maybe I am too old to be doing jump shrugs. I was probably over training anyway, still trying to lose the weight I had gained over the last six months of being on the road and on vacation.

So, I feel better now that I am able to get my trivial life problem off my chest.


No comments: